- HVAC News
Indira Gandhi, the first and only female Prime Minister of India, said “There are two kinds of people in this world, those who do the work and those who take the credit.” In other words, there are those in that will pass themselves off as hard workers, while really their only skill is their ability to lie.
That’s somewhat like the situation in the HVAC world right now. There are two kinds of HVAC technicians, unlicensed and licensed. And while, it’s true that unlicensed HVAC contractors can at times do a fine job, they’re to be avoided at all costs. Why? Because where heating and cooling is concerned, you really want someone qualified working on your home. It’s not something you want to trifle with.
When Unlicensed HVAC Work Goes Wrong
Having an unlicensed tech service your HVAC system is a big risk. At the very least, you’re leaving your wallet exposed: you may end up paying twice for the same repair!
However, in many cases, unlicensed technicians have actually caused severe injury or death by their negligence. There was recently a major court case about this in the Toronto area. In 2013, Guildwood Furnace Services pled guilty to involvement in an accidental death. The death occurred as a result of irresponsible behaviour, behaviour which contravened the TSSA’s standards (TSSA: Technical Standards & Safety Authority, the body that regulates HVAC licensing in Ontario).
The incident happened in Scarborough in 2011. Guildwood Furnace Services responded to a call about a furnace repair by sending an unlicensed technician. The technician took a look at the repair, realized he’d need a part for the job, and left, telling the homeowner he would return.
Meanwhile, the house was filling with deadly carbon monoxide gas.
When the tech returned the next day, he found the owner sprawled on the floor, unconscious. 911 was immediate called but the furnace was not shut off. The homeowner was taken to hospital, and was stabilized.
However, later that day, the homeowner’s son came home. Unaware of the danger, he spent the night. He was found dead in the home 3 days later.
Had the technician followed TSSA guidelines, the tech would have shut off the furnace immediately, understanding the danger. Instead, a young man died.